Picture of Writing Woman

Frequently Asked Questions

Which backgrounds qualify for the Master's at the BIOTEC?

For Molecular Bioengineering, all applicants are required to have a Diploma degree or a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification in one of the following fields:

  • Biology / Life Sciences
  • Biotechnology
  • Chemistry / Biochemistry
  • Computer science
  • Materials science
  • Medicine
  • Nanotechnology
  • Physics

For Nanobiophysics, all applicants are required to have a Diploma degree or a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification in one of the following fields:

  • Biophysics
  • Physics
  • Nanotechnology

For Regenerative Biology and Medicine, all applicants are required to have a first university degree in Biology or Medicine or another degree qualifying for a profession where comparable previous knowledge, esp. in molecular and cell biology, is needed. 

Please note that we might consider graduates in other fields which are not explicitly mentioned above - please email us your transcripts for a preliminary eligibility check.


Please note that we require a bachelor's degree from most Asian applicants (including India, China, etc.) with a minimum of 4 years of study or, alternatively, a three year bachelor's degree plus one year of master's studies.

Which documents do I need to submit?

Please note that there are 2 different procedures depending if you are a graduate from a German institution or a graduate from a non-German institution.

For (prospective) graduates from non- German institutions of higher education, the documents need to be sent to the following address:

Technische Universität Dresden
c/o uni assist e.V.
D-11507 Berlin


For (prospective) graduates from German institutions of higher education, the documents need to be sent to the following address:

CMCB- TU Dresden
Student Office/ Master's programs
Fetscherstr. 105
01307 Dresden

Here is the list of documents required:

    • certified copies of your university degree certificate(s) and certified English or German translations (if the documents have not been issued in one of these languages)
      If you have not received your degree certificate yet, please enclose a certified copy of your latest transcripts as well as a certificate from your university about the achievement of at least 80% of the credits necessary for graduation, the current overall average grade and your expected date of graduation)

    • latest transcripts of records
    • certified copy of your higher education entrance qualification/school leaving certificate (Abitur, Baccalaureate, School-Leaving Certificate, O- and A-Levels etc.), including list of grades and its certified English or German translation (if the documents are not in one of these languages)
    • CV in English
    • motivation letter in English 
    • two letters of recommendation from professors of your college or university qualified to evaluate your academic achievements and your potential for graduate study
    • proof of English proficiency 
    • applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam must provide the APS certificate by the Akademische Prüfstelle from the German Embassy in Beijing, Ulan Bator or Hanoi.


    In addition, do not forget to apply through our online platform AND for graduates from non- German institutions of higher education through uni-assist.

I want to apply for several master programs at the CMCB. Do I need to submit my documents twice?

If you are applying for more than one of our programs for the same intake, it will suffice if you send one set of application documents to uni-assist (for graduates from non-German institutions) or to us (for graduates from German institutions). Please indicate your choice for which program you are applying in the online registration system!

What does authenticated or certified copy mean?

Simple photocopies will not suffice. They need to be authenticated. An official notary (or any other person authorized to do so) has to confirm with stamp and signature that the copy is true to the original. Separate sheets must be authenticated separately.

In Germany photocopies can be officially authenticated by the following public authorities: the university that issued the degrees and certificates, the local authority (the town council), courts of law and health insurance companies (free of charge).

Abroad diplomatic representations of the Federal Republic of Germany and public authorities in each country are entitled to authenticate documents under national law. Authentication is deemed to conform to the regulations if the statement of authentication is accompanied by an official stamp and is signed by the person authenticating the document.

I have done (part of) my studies in English. Do I still need to submit proof of my English proficiency?

Please note: even though we as a university might accept you if you can prove that you have done your studies in English, the German visa authorities might require the proof of your English proficiency in order to issue your visa. Please double-check with the closest German embassy in your home country!

In any case it will be safer, if you can provide proof of your English proficiency!

Which English proficiency tests are acceptable?

The most widely recognized tests are the IELTS or the Toefl test; however we also accept other tests as for example UniCERT, CPE.

Does the university have an ETS code to which the Toefl results can be sent?

No, TU Dresden does not have such a code. It is sufficient to send a copy of your Toefl certificate together with your application dossier by post and to upload it online.


Do I need German language skills?

For the course, German language skills are not required. However, knowledge of basic German is, of course, helpful in day-to-day life.

What is the selection procedure? On which criteria is the selection based?

Decisions on admission will be based on the student's grade point average (GPA), and his/her educational and professional background. More details are available in the Admission Regulations to be found on page "Application" of each master's programs.

When can I expect a decision?

Decisions on admission are taken by the Selection Committee of the respective Master's program within four weeks after the application deadline.

If your application is successful, the selection committee is going to mail you a confirmation, stating that you are accepted for the program. Simultaneously, we pass on your application documents to the Registration Office (for German students) and International Office (for international students) at the Technische Universität Dresden who are in charge for checking if all formal criteria are fulfilled. If everything is OK, you are going to receive an official admission letter (referred to as "Zulassungsbescheid"). This letter should be used to apply for a student visa at the German Embassy of your home country, if applicable.

Along with the admission letter you will also receive a detailed checklist with the formalities to be completed before and after your arrival in Dresden. Please also kindly refer to the FAQ section on this website if you have any questions as it might answer some of your related questions already!

Is an early decision over admission possible?

Early decisions are usually not possible. The only exception is if you have applied for a scholarship and would lose it without an admission. In this case, please submit the complete dossier along with a confirmation of the scholarship foundation, at which you have applied, as early as possible.

Do you charge tuition fees?

Please note that we do not charge any tuition fees. Students only have to pay an service/registration fee each semester (subject to change) when registering at the university. This includes a ticket for the use of the public transportation in Dresden and its surroundings.

What are the living expenses in Dresden?

Usually, it is estimated that students need approx. 650-700 EUR per month for their living expenses in Dresden incl. accommodation, health insurance, food and other expenses.

Is there any funding available?

In cooperation with the Haniel/Klaus Tschira Stiftungen, we offer up to 3 GoWest scholarships to very good students from Middle and Eastern Europe, including the Community of Independent States in Molecular Bioengineering, Nanobiophysics or Regenerative Biology and Medicine. In order to apply for the scholarship, you just need to state this in the application form (cf. page 6 of the form). The scholarship amounts to 625 EUR per month.

The TU Dresden participates to the Deutschlandstipendium's program (Germany Scholarship program) and offers a number of scholarships of an amount of 300 EUR per month as a financial support for highly talented and committed students. More information can be found here

In cooperation with the Association of Friends and Patrons of TU Dresden e.V. (Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der TU Dresden e.V.) we offer 2 scholarships of 300 EUR/month for good applicants from Middle and Eastern Europe for the master program Nanobiophysics. If you are interested in this scholarship, please tick the appropriate box in the online application form Part I Scholarship with which you also agree that your documents are forwarded to the Association of Friends and Patrons of TU Dresden e.V. In addition to the regular application documents, we also need a motivation letter and a reference/support letter by the university in your home country from you.

Furthermore, the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) is sometimes offering some scholarships. It is often necessary to apply a long time in advance. The DAAD might also give you information on other scholarships.

What are the career prospects with a degree in Molecular Bioengineering, Nanobiophysics or Regenerative Biology and Medicine?

All 3 programs are highly research-oriented .

A graduate in Molecular Bioengineering/Nanobiophysics will have the possibility to

  • continue in basic research, conduct research in institutions of higher education, or occupy a research position in a biotech company
  • work in health biotechnology companies (for the design of new devices and medical therapeutics)
  • develop new materials using cellular machines
  • develop new ways of sustainable energy production by using the molecular machinery of the cells

The program Regenerative Biology and Medicine qualifies students for life sciences work and approaches. The students acquire elementary knowledge of molecular cell biology and developmental biology with specific theoretical and practical application to in vitro and in vivo stem cell work which is relevant to regeneration and human application. Students will be qualified to apply concepts and techniques in stem cell biology and animal models onto new research projects in regenerative biology and medicine. The students will have access to a wide range of R&D work fields, particularly in the areas of cell biology, developmental biology, stem cell biology and medicine, and have the opportunity to perform research in leading international research laboratories.

May I contact a student who is presently enrolled in the BIOTEC programs for some more insider information?

Please contact the student office -we will be happy to establish the contact with students of the master's programs!

What do I need to prepare before my departure from home?

While still at home please prepare and obtain:

  • A passport valid for the entire period which you intend to spend in Germany (otherwise, you will need to go home in-between to renew it)
  • The admission letter (Zulassungsbescheid) of TU Dresden
  • A proof of sufficient financial resources
  • Your student visa (not a tourist visa!), if applicable
  • Originals and/or certified copies and translations of the following documents: university degree certificate(s), transcripts, secondary school leaving certificate, possibly any academic qualifications you may have and your language certificates
  • if you have a health insurance recognized in Germany, bring the confirmation of it. Otherwise and in most cases you will need to register for German health insurance after your arrival in Germany.
  • Not obligatory: birth certificate, book of vaccination certificates, if you have one.
  • start searching for an accommodation

Some useful things to take with you: any medicines you need, travelers' cheques, some cash for your arrival, passport photographs.

Who needs a student visa and what are the visa requirements?

Most non-EU nationals require a visa for stays in Germany. A visa is not required for semi-annual visits of up to three months for nationals of those countries for which the European Community has abolished the visa requirement. Please kindly check the website of the Federal Foreign Office of Germany whether this applies to you!

If applicable, you need to apply for a student visa. The visa will be issued for 3 months and needs to be extended within 3 months after your arrival in Germany. You have to provide the following documents:

  • a passport valid for the entire period which you intend to stay in Germany
  • the admission letter (Zulassungsbescheid) of TU Dresden
  • proof of sufficient financial resources
  • sometimes proof of your English proficiency

Please also kindly check the website of the respective German embassy or consulate general in your home country for further details!

Which type of accommodation is available and how much is it?

Student Residences

German universities do not provide residential accommodation such as that found at British or American universities. Students generally have to arrange their own accommodation.

Studentenwohnheime (student residences) are run by the local Studentenwerk (student welfare organization which operates independently of the university itself) and are settled in various locations in Dresden. Places in student residences are normally allocated in priority for international students so this option is probably the easiest one to find a room in Dresden, especially from abroad and at least for the beginning of your stay. So we highly recommend you to make use of it!

Depending on how much you are willing to pay, you can expect that the apartments are equipped with shower and WC and have access to kitchen facilities, telephone and Internet. Generally, all rooms in the student residences are fully furnished with bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and a shelf, but you need to bring or buy your own bed linen and kitchen utensils, the Studentenwerk (student union) also sells some.

Once admitted to the university, we recommend applying as soon as possible in order to have a place booked! In the following, we have listed those residences which might be in the most convenient locations for BIOTEC students.

  • Borsbergstr. 34
  • Gerokstr. 38
  • Güntzstr. 22
  • Marschnerstr. 31
  • Blasewitzer Str. 84
  • Budapesterstr. 22/24 (a bit further from BIOTEC, but direct connection with bus)

All other residences are further off the BIOTEC but within a manageable distance, please confer with the map of residences. The residences in Tharandt (Weißiger Höhe, Wilsdruffer Straße) are not recommendable, as they are too far away from our institute (approx. 1 hour by train). Please find more detailed information on the facilities, prices, photos and the required form to apply for students' residences on the website of Studentenwerk.

Application is done online at Studentenwerk ; a copy of the admission letter of the university (Zulassungsbescheid) is needed. In case of more questions, feel free to contact the Studentenwerk.

Here is also the address of the Studentenwerk:

Fritz Löffler-Str. 18
D-01069 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0) 351-4697616
Fax | +49 (0) 351-4697642
Email: Studentenwerk

Private Accommodation

Shared flat (WG)
Many students share a larger flat or house (so-called WGs). Availability and cost of private accommodation is widely variable and depend on the quality and location but is comparably cheap (by German standards). Especially at the end of each semester and just before a new semester begins, you will find many private notices on the notice boards in the refectories and in the most frequented university buildings. There are also agencies for such WGs.

Living in shared flat (Wohngemeinschaft - WG) is particularly popular with German students as a way to save money. Normally at least two people will share a flat, sharing a kitchen and bath. Offers can be found on the following websites:

There are a number of apartment placement agencies, which are particularly adept at setting you up with a furnished flat or room. With the help of these agencies, finding a room or flat can be relatively fast and easy.

Below is the list of three agencies. Should you be interested in one of their offers, please contact the landlord/owner via the respective agency. Should a contract be signed between you and the landlord, the agency will receive an one-time fee that is calculated as being between 25% and 150% of one month?s rent, based upon the amount of one month?s rent and the length of the contract.

Mitwohnzentrale Dresden
Email | Mitwohnzentrale Dresden

Home Company
Email | Home Company

Mietwohnzentrale Dresden GmbH
Email | Mietwohnzentrale

Inexpensive hostels in Dresden

If you have not found your accommodation and are looking for a cheap place to stay for the first few days, then we can recommend the following inexpensive hostels in Dresden:

Louisenstraße 77
01099 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351 563 40 50
Fax | + 49 (0)351 563 40 55
Email | Mondpalast

Prices start from 13.50 EUR per bed (8-10 bed dorm), breakfast 5 EUR
situated in the city centre, 20-30 minutes to the university by tram.

Kangaroo Stop
Erna-Berger-Str. 8-10
01097 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351 314 34 55
Email | Kangaroo Stop

Prices start from 12.50 EUR per bed (10 bed dorm), breakfast 4,90 EUR, situated near train station Bahnhof Neustadt

Lollis Homestay
Görlitzer Str. 34
01099 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0) 351 810 84 58
Email | Lollis Homestay

Prices start from 13 EUR per bed (8 bed dorm), breakfast 3 EUR

Königsbrücker Str. 64
01099 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351 810 770
Email | Mezcalero

Prices start from 18 EUR per bed (6/7 bed dorm), breakfast 6.50 EUR

A&O Hostel
Strehlener Str. 10
01069 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351 46 92 71 59 00
Email | A&O Hostel

Prices start from 13 EUR per bed, breakfast 6 EUR

or 3 Youth Hostels:

Maternistr. 22
01067 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351 49262 0
Fax | +49 (0)351 49262 99
Email | Jugendgästehaus

Prices start from 22 EUR per bed incl. breakfast
Directions: from the main railway station Hauptbahnhof, tram number 7 (direction: Pennrich), get off at stop Ammonstrasse/Freibergstrasse

Jugendherberge "Rudi Arndt"
Huebnerstr. 11
01069 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351 471 06 67
Fax | +49 (0)351 472 89 59
Email | Jugendherberge "Rudi Arndt"

Prices start from 16.40 EUR per bed
Directions: 10-15 minutes by foot from Dresden main railway station Hauptbahnhof

City Herberge
Lingnerallee 3
01069 Dresden
Tel | +49 (0)351-485 99 00
Email | City Herberge

Prices start from 20 EUR per bed (4 bed dorm) incl. breakfast
Directions: from Hauptbahnhof, tram 3 (direction Wilder Mann) or tram 7 (direction: Weixdorf) get off at stop Pirnaischer Platz

Which insurances are needed for my stay in Germany?

Health Insurance

All students need to demonstrate a registered proof of health insurance as prescribed by German law. Please note that you can only register for statutory insurance after your arrival in Germany.

As a student, you are eligible for statutory insurance at the lowest monthly rate, currently approx. EUR 80. This regulation does not apply to students who have spent more than 14 semesters studying at a German university or who are aged over 30. Here are the addresses of some major statutory insurance companies:

Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK)
Postplatz 6
01067 Dresden
Phone| +49 (0)8002471001
Fax| +49 (0)8002471002925
Office Hours| MON-THU 9 am - 6 pm, FRI 9 am - 4 pm

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)
George-Bähr-Str. 8
01069 Dresden
Phone| +49 (0) 351 4773773
Fax| +49 (0) 351 4773957
Office Hours| MON 10 am - 4 pm TUE and THU 8:30 am - 6 pm WED 8:30 am - 4 pm FRI 8:30 am - 1 pm

Barmer GEK
Budapesterstr. 3-5
01069 Dresden
Phone| +49 (0)8003331010
Fax| +49 (0)8003330090
Office Hours| MON-THU 9 am - 6:30 pm, FRI 9 am - 4 pm

EU Citizens

EU-citizens with a valid European health insurance card are also covered in Germany. After your arrival please see one of the health insurance companies as named above which will confirm in written that you have full insurance coverage. In case you need to see a doctor, please bring along your insurance card and a photo ID and name the German health insurance company through which the doctor can bill his costs.

EU citizens who do not hold a valid health insurance (private ones are usually not acknowledged if you study in Germany) need to register with a German statutory health insurance company unless they can prove equivalent coverage.

non-EU citizens

The local health insurance institution can exempt you from the compulsory insurance provided you can demonstrate that you have equivalent coverage from a health insurance company in your own country. However, we strongly advise you to take the student health insurance (approx. EUR 65 per month). If you do not do so, you will have to pay for treatment in advance and then claim it from your insurance company.

Students over 30

If you are aged 30 or over, you cannot be covered by statutory health insurance. We strongly advise you to take private health insurance as costs for medical care are very expensive in Germany. The costs for private insurance starts at currently approx. EUR 120/month (subject to change).

(Third party) liability insurance

Please note that during your studies at TU Dresden, you are not insured for cases of third party risks. If you wish to have such an insurance coverage, you have to procure for this insurance privately. Costs start from approx. 30 EUR per year. Please also check whether you are possibly covered by your parents' third liability insurance (for German students) or whether your home insurance covers events/cases abroad!

Household Contents Insurance

Please note that your personal belongings (furniture, jewellery, electronic devices, clothes etc.) are not insured by Studentenwerk, nor by any other landlord. If desired, you need to take out household contents insurance (Hausratversicherung) at your own expense. It covers all movable things in a household: furniture, electronic devices, clothes and even food items and insures them against fire, thunder and hail storms, burglary, robbery and vandalism. Costs for such a kind of insurance start at approx. 25 EUR per year.

How do I get to the BIOTEC?

From the Airport
, please take train S2 (every 30 min) to the train station Bahnhof-Neustadt. Then take tram no. 6, direction Niedersedlitz, get off at stop Blasewitzer/ Fetscherstraße. Walk left into Fetscherstraße (direction north) and turn left after the second crossing again into Tatzberg. The institute is close to the intersection Fetscherstraße/Tatzberg.

From the main train station please take tram no. 10 from Hauptbahnhof Nord, direction Striesen, get off at stop Fetscherplatz. Then take tram no. 12, direction Striesen, get off at stop Blasewitzer/ Fetscherstraße. Cross Blasewitzer Straße and continue on Fetscherstraße in north direction. Turn left after the second crossing into Tatzberg.

From the train station Bahnhof Neustadt take tram no. 6, direction Niedersedlitz, get off at stop Blasewitzer/ Fetscherstraße. Walk left into Fetscherstraße and turn left after the second crossing again into Tatzberg. The institute is close to the intersection Fetscherstraße/Tatzberg.

If you come by car on the highways A4 or A13, please take the highway exit Dresden-Hellerau (No. 81a) and follow the signs along Hansa Strasse to Zentrum until the point when you pass the train station Dresden-Neustadt. At the first traffic light after the train station, turn left, (you may only turn left here) and drive straight on following the signs to Staatskanzlei. Passing the Staatskanzlei on your right, follow the sign Zentrum and cross the Albert-Bridge. At the second traffic light after the bridge turn left and follow the sign Johannstadt into Gerokstrasse which will later become Blasewitzer Strasse. When you reach the third traffic light, turn left into Fetscherstrasse. After approximately 50 metres turn left into the street Tatzberg where our institute is situated. Parking spaces are available in front of the building.

Which formalities do I need to complete after my arrival?

At the beginning of your stay, you will have to complete a mass of unavoidable bureaucratic formalities. The Student Office is happy to help you with your first steps in Dresden. Please do not hesitate to contact us!

Mrs Anne Chesneau
Center for Molecular and Cellular Bioengineering (CMCB)
Fetscherstr. 105
ground floor, room 0.122
Tel | +49 (0)351-45882076
Fax | +49 (0)351-45882059

Please find below a checklist of the first places to go to! Please note that this order should be followed, because you often cannot continue with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th step unless the previous ones have been completed:

1. Accommodation in a student residence: the Studentenwerk Dresden

If you have booked a room in a student residence you should go to the Studentenwerk Dresden with all your documents, especially with your admission letter of TU Dresden (Zulassungsbescheid) and about 150-200 EUR cash for the deposit! Card payment (EC or credit) is also possible.
The Studentenwerk is located at Fritz-Löffler-Str. 18, near the main station and near the main campus of the University (Südvorstadt). Office Hours from 9-12 a.m.

You will receive a tenancy/accommodation agreement and a form for a direct debit authorization. When opening a bank account later on, complete this form with your bank data and bring it back to the Studentenwerk so that they can take the rent directly from your account every month.

2. International Office (for international students) or Immatrikulationsamt (for German students)

International students need to go to the International Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt) in order to register as a student. Please bring along all your documents. You will first receive a paper called "Meldebogen" that you need to fill in and a bank form for paying the semester fee.
You will get an appointment for the formal registration (usually 2-3 days later) upon which you will need to provide the admission letter, proof of a valid health insurance, proof of payment of the semester fee and your original certificates (Bachelor, transcripts etc.)

International Office
Strehlener Str. 22, 6th floor
01069 Dresden
Contact person: Ms Anja Albrecht
Office Hours | TUE/WED/THU 9.30 - 11.30 am and 12.30 - 3 pm, FRI 9 - 12 am

German students need to go to the Immatrikulationsamt in order to register as a student.

Contact person: Ms Anet Kaminski
Strehlener-Str. 22, 6th floor
01069 Dresden
Office hours | TUE 9-11 am and 12:30-6 pm THU 12:30-3:30 pm  FRI 9-12 am

3. The Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)

You have to register at the Residents' Registration Office in the first few days after your arrival in Germany. To register, please fill in the registration form, present your passport, your visa (if applicable) and your tenancy/accommodation agreement. You will be issued a form called Meldebescheinigung.

If you move to a different address in Dresden and Germany, you will need to update the registration at the Residents Registration Office. If you do not do it, you might be fined should you be checked. When leaving Germany you should also go there in order to de-register. Please note that the forms can also be filled-in directly at the City Registration Office with the Officer.

Residents Registration Office
Theaterstr. 11
01139 Dresden (near Postplatz)
Office Hours | MON/TUE/THU/FRI 8 am - 8 pm WED 8 am - 2 pm SAT 8 am - 1 pm

4. Opening a bank account

Most of the banks offer special student accounts for which no account maintenance fees are charged. To open an account you will need your tenancy/accommodation agreement, your passport, your admission letter of TU Dresden (Zulassungsbescheid) and the document of the Residents' Registration Office ("Meldebescheinigung"). Please also give the bank transfer form of the university to the person in charge at the bank so that they can take care of transferring the semester fee. You will get a receipt which you need to show at the university when registering (point 6).

5. Health insurance

You will need your passport, your admission letter and the form Meldebescheinigung of the Residents Registration Office. You will also have to give your bank data so that the monthly rate can be charged automatically from your bank account by the health insurance company.

6. Registration at the University

As an international student, you need to go to the international office for registration. Please bring along your health insurance certificate, your filled in "Meldebogen" and the copy/receipt of the payment of the semester fee. Your student card and the payment form for the semester fee of the next semester will be sent directly to your address in Dresden.
Should you move, please inform the International Office (they will send your student card home each semester) and the BIOTEC student office.

German students need to register at the Immatrikulationsamt. It is sufficient to send the completed form Meldebogen, the receipt of payment of the semester fee and confirmation of a valid health insurance by post to the following address. 

TU Dresden
01062 Dresden

If the documents are complete and the semester fee has been duly paid, the student card will be sent to the postal address given on the form Meldebogen.

7. Visa Extension at Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde)

If you are a non-EU national and have come to Germany with a student visa, your visa will expire after three months and you will need to extend it. Please take along the originals + 1 set of photocopies of the following documents:

  • application form for residence permit
  • the Meldebescheinigung of the Residents' Registration Office
  • proof of a valid health insurance
  • your passport
  • a biometrical passport photograph
  • your student card/student registration certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) OR admission letter
  • tenancy agreement
  • proof of sufficient financial resources
  • money to pay the processing fee (approx. 100 EUR)

For any issue to be clarified as well as for visa extension, you will need first to ask for an appointment per email or personally at the service point:

Theaterstr. 13, room 056 (groundfloor)
01139 Dresden
Office Hours | TUE/THU 8-12 am and 2-6 pm FRI 8-12 am

For your appointment, the Foreigners Office is located on the 1st floor of Theaterstr. 13

Financial requirements
You will have to present proof that you can finance your stay in Germany to a German foreign mission and to the Foreigners Office (Finanzierungsnachweis). This can be letter of awards (scholarships) or current bank statements.

When is the lecture/holiday period?

Academic calendar

The academic year is divided in 2 semesters: winter and summer semester. Each semester includes 15 weeks of courses, followed by examinations, lab classes and some free time. Formally, the winter semester starts on 1 October and ends on 31 March and the summer semester starts on 1 April and ends on 30 September.

Am I registered for the duration of the master program or do I need to renew the registration inbetween?

You need to register at the university each semester. You will find the re-registration deadline for the next semester on the sheet of paper you get with your student card at the beginning of the semester. It is normally also available on the website of the university.

The re-registration is completed by transferring the semester fee to the account of the university. Please always check the amount of the semester fee as it may vary from semester to semester. After the payment of the fee, your new student card will be sent to your current postal address by the International Office via mail so please do not forget to inform the International Office of any change of address.

In case I change accommodations, whom do I need to inform about it?

You need to go to the Residents Registration Office (Theaterstraße 11) to get your change of address registered within 2 weeks after your move. If not, you might be fined, the amount of which is increasing with the time.

Furthermore, please inform your bank as well as health insurance about your new address. Also inform the International /Registration Office of TUD (your student card will be sent to your current address each semester) and the BIOTEC student office.

Where can I use the internet for checking emails etc?

At the BIOTEC, there is a PC-Pool, especially for the students of the masters courses. With your BIOTEC chip card you will have access to the PC Pool 24h/7d.

After your enrolment as a student, you will receive a login and password which allows you to use the computer pool. You will also get a BIOTEC email address which allows you to receive emails sent to all people registered at the BIOTEC.

If you have questions or need help with regards to the BIOTEC PC-Pool and email-addresses, please contact the BIOTEC Computer Department:

Matthias Gierth (room 2.506)
Tel | 463 40069

At the university you will also find PC-Pools in each faculty. After having enrolled at the university, you receive a login and password which allows you to use the PC pools around the campus, for example here

Willers-Bau rooms A119 and A119a

Should you have questions or need some help, please contact the service desk of ZIH, located at the Faculty of Computer Science, Andreas-Pfitzmann-Building, Nöthnitzer-Str. 46 (Südvorstadt) and is opened Mo-Fr 8am to 7pm, Email.

Where can I borrow the books that are mentioned in my lectures?

In the student office on the ground floor of CMCB/CRTD, you will find books in English on the different topics of the master's programs. Please come to the student office, if you would like to borrow some.

The TU has a big and modern university library called Sächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek (SLUB). You will find books and journals of all scientific disciplines; however these books are mostly in German.

Zellescher Weg 18 (Südvorstadt)
Tel | 4677-420
Opening Hours | MON to SAT from 8 a.m to midnight, SUN from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

At the entrance you will find an information point. In order to borrow books, you need to register (on the right-hand side when you enter the building) which is free of charge. To get the library card, you need to show your student card, passport and accommodation tenancy agreement (Mietvertrag). 


Are there any student cafeterias/refectories nearby the BIOTEC?

There is a cafeteria in the BIOTEC offering lunch, however without any special discount for students. The price for a meal is usually around 4 EUR.

On the campus Blasewitz and Südvorstadt you will find several cafeterias and refectories (Mensa). Here are two addresses:

Mensa Klinikum/Medical Faculty (within walking distance from the BIOTEC)
Blasewitzer Str. 84
01307 Dresden

Neue Mensa Bergstraße (campus Südvorstadt approx. 30 min by public transport)
Bergstraße 53
01069 Dresden

The price for a meal varies between 1.50 and 3 EUR.

You will need a so-called E-Meal card for cashless payment in each Mensa (student restaurants) of the TU Dresden. When you register at the University (International Office), you will get a document called E-Meal Bescheinigung (Emeal-confimation) which is needed for buying or recharging the E-Meal. The E-Meal is available at each Mensa for a deposit of 5 EUR.

Please find more information on the website of the Studentenwerk where you also find the menu of the different mensas for each week.

Despite the fact that the program is being conducted in English, I would like to learn German. Is there an option?

Here are some institutes offering languages courses in Dresden (however, they are not for free):

TUDIAS (Technische Universität Dresden Institute of Advanced Studies GmbH)

Goethe-Institut Dresden
Email | Goethe-Institut Dresden

Volkshochschule Dresden e.V.
Email | VHS Dresden 

Email | Kästner Kolleg 

How can I register for sports courses at TU Dresden?

There is a broad spectrum of sports classes offered by the Universitätssportzentrum (university sports center). For further details please have a look at the website of the university sports center. The UniversitätsSportZentrum also publishes a booklet that is available in the cafeterias and refectories on campus and some public places of the university.

You can register online under the same link. The registration takes place in stages according to the different kinds of sports. Please check the registration periods on the same webpage. It is still possible to register after the given dates: you should go to the responsible person for the sports of your choice during his/her office hours. For certain kinds of sports there is no guarantee of getting a place (some courses have a limited number of places).

Usually, students pay a fee of approx. 15 EUR for one course for the whole semester. Please also check the mentioned website for the current prices!

I would like to go out and/or explore the city and surroundings. Any suggestions?

The International Office of TU Dresden organizes excursions in and around Dresden, sightseeing trips to neighbouring cities or countries but also round tables where you can meet nice people and make friends. On the internet site of the Kulturbüro you can find the latest information about their events, as well as pictures of their recent excursions.

I would like to work. Where can I look for jobs?

In order to earn money, some of you may look for part-time work. Students from EU member states, the EEA and Switzerland do not need a work permit as the same conditions apply to them as to German citizens. Students from the new EU member states (e.g. Bulgaria and Romania) need to apply for an Arbeitsgenehmigung EU if they want to work more than 120 days full-time or 240 days part-time per year.

Students from other countries can also work without a work permit as long as their working times comply with the specifications in their visa/residence permit. Usually, students are allowed to work 120 days full-time per year or alternatively 240 half-days.

Professors of the master programs might offer you some work as a student assistant (studentische Hilfskraft) in their lab which is also a good possibility to gain some more experience. 

Another possibility of finding a temporary job is the Studentische Arbeitsvermittlung e.V. (StAV), TU Dresden Campus, Student Council Office - Studentenrat, Room 11, 01062 Dresden (wooden house on the campus Südvorstadt, behind the Hörsaalzentrum). Please note that this last possibility might be difficult for students who do not speak German.

I need to see a doctor. Where do I find an English-speaking specialist?

Please contact the student office! We have a list of several English-speaking general doctors and specialists.

In emergency cases which numbers do I need to dial?

  • Medical Emergency Service 112
  • Central medical, pediatric and dental standby service (after 6pm and on week-ends): 0351-19222
  • Fire Brigade 112
  • Police 110
  • Police Head Office in Dresden: Schießgasse 7, Tel | 0351-4830 (contact person for international students: Mr. Petzold 0351-483 2230)
  • Immigration Office: 0351 4886051
  • Border police (at railway stations, airports and borders): +49 (0)1805 234566
  • Lost property office Dresden: 0351 4885996/97
  • Blocking lost or stolen bank/credit cards or mobile phones: 116 116

The curriculum does not mention a semester abroad explicitly. Can I still spend a semester abroad, for an internship for example?

A semester abroad is not explicitly mentioned in the curriculum; however, we encourage our students to do so, particularly during the period of their Master's thesis (4th semester).

Please note: if you want to write your thesis under the supervision of an external supervisor (i.e. a supervisor who is not a teacher of the course), the examination committee needs to approve. The committee usually meets in January taking their decision for the theses to be started at the beginning of March.

If you want to spend some time abroad for an internship e.g. during the first 3 semesters, you need to take a semester off (Urlaubssemester).

I would like to pursue a PhD after graduating from the master program. Is there an option at the BIOTEC?

The TU Dresden offers the Dresden International Graduate School for Biomedicine and Bioengineering (DIGS-BB) - an international PhD program that interconnects the fields of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, Regenerative Medicine and Nanobiotechnology, Biophysics and Bioengineering. Please find all relevant details incl. application deadlines on the website of DIGS-BB!

To the top of this page.